What are superyachts?
The superyacht industry is an exclusive and luxurious industry that caters to the ultra-rich. These yachts, which are typically over 80 feet long and can cost tens of millions of dollars, offer their owners and guests the ultimate in luxury and privacy.
Bartending is an important aspect of the superyacht industry, and it plays a vital role in the experience of owners and guests. While many superyachts have bars on board, it’s the bartender who brings the drinks to life and creates the perfect atmosphere for guests to relax and enjoy their time on the yacht.
The role of bartenders on superyachts
- Bartenders are responsible for creating bespoke cocktails – While many bartenders are skilled at making classic cocktails, on superyachts, they’re often asked to create bespoke cocktails that are tailored to the individual tastes of the owner and their guests. This requires a high level of creativity and attention to detail.
- Bartenders are responsible for stocking the bar – Bartenders on superyachts are responsible for stocking the bar with a wide range of spirits, mixers, and other ingredients. This means they need to be knowledgeable about different types of alcohol and their properties, and they need to know how to store and handle them properly.
- Bartenders need to be flexible and adaptable – The superyacht industry is a dynamic and ever-changing environment, and bartenders need to be able to adapt to different situations quickly. They need to be able to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment.
- Bartenders need to be discreet – The superyacht industry is all about luxury and privacy, and bartenders need to be discreet and professional at all times. They need to respect the privacy of the owner and their guests, and they need to be able to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Bartenders are part of the overall hospitality team – While bartenders play a vital role in the experience of the guests on board, they’re also part of the overall hospitality team. This means they need to be able to work closely with other crew members, including chefs, stewardesses, and engineers.
How Shaker can help
The role of bartenders on superyachts is an important one, and it requires a high level of skill, knowledge, and professionalism. Bartenders need to be able to create bespoke cocktails, stock the bar, be flexible and adaptable, be discreet and professional, and work as part of the overall hospitality team. By doing so, they help to create the ultimate luxury experience for the owners and guests of superyachts.
Shaker’s Superyacht Package is designed to equip you with all the skills you need to provide top service on a superyacht. Our International Bartenders Course provides the foundation whilst our Professional Barista Course and WSET Level 1 qualification help make you a well-rounded member of the hospitality team.